"What luck for the rulers that men do not think." -Adolf Hitler
"I will bring this war to an end in 2009. So don’t be confused." -- Senator Barack Obama

"If you don't like Obama, you is a racist!" -- Kelonda

Search This Blog

"If the government robs Peter to pay Paul, he can count on the continued support of Paul.

Tuesday, September 29, 2009

False Charges From Carville and Rolling Stone - Real Conflicts at AARP

NEW YORK, Sept. 29 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- The following is a statement by Betsy McCaughey:


On CNN, James Carville claims that Phillip Morris paid me to "plant a story in the New Republic" on the dangers of the Clinton's health plan in 1994. Carville cites an article in Rolling Stone magazine relying on a memo written by an unknown source. He calls this "breathtaking evidence." In fact, the magazine's claim and the unidentified source on which it is based are a patent lie. Carville and CNN should check their facts before making such charges.


When I wrote my prize-winning essay for the New Republic, I was supported by an academic fellowship from the Olin Foundation, a not-for-profit charitable organization. I did not receive any other payment for my work. Nor did I consult with anyone at Phillip Morris.


The Manhattan Institute, where I was a senior fellow, has already issued a statement that I was in no way connected to or influenced by Phillip Morris. Therefore James Carville's claim is cruel and libelous.


The Obamacare partisans choose to attack me personally rather than addressing the issues. If they could win the public debate on the merits of their legislation, they wouldn't have to resort to personal attacks against me. Their health legislation will be dangerous to patients, especially the elderly.


Though I do not have a financial stake in the debate, another strong voice in the current debate does have financial conflicts. AARP, the organization that is supposed to advocate for the elderly is instead conducting a huge campaign for "universal coverage," which would require everyone to buy health insurance. AARP makes over $300 Million a year, from selling insurance bearing its logo. That's about 30% of its billion dollars in annual revenue. No wonder AARP wants buying insurance to be mandatory. It's a giant insurance company. For the details of where AARP gets its money, check its consolidated financial statements, audited by PMG, at www.aarp.org.

No comments: